Ten Things to Do in Johnny Appleseed Country When It's Raining
10. Take an art class at Modern Edge Center for the Arts on 853 North Main St. in Leominster (978) 728-4646. They allow for walk ins, just call ahead to verify. Craft prices start at $5. They even offer BYOB classes on Friday nights!
9. Kids skate or bowl FREE! Visit www.kidsskatefree.com or www.kidsbowlfree.com for vouchers for free skating or bowling (bowling is available in the summer months). Skating is available at Roll On America, 90 Duval Rd., Lancaster (978) 537-4010. Bowling alleys include Putnam Street Lanes, 14 Putnam St., Fitchburg (978) 343-9664 and Gardner Ten Pins, 560 West Broadway Gardner (978) 632-0010. Putnam Street Lanes is the oldest candlepin bowling house in the country. Their hours are Monday-Thursday 8am-11pm and Friday-Sunday noon-11pm. Gardner Ten Pin offers galactic bowling on Friday and Saturday nights. Their hours ar Summer noon to 10pm Mon., Tues., Thurs., and Sun., 9am-10pm Wed. and noon -11pm Fri. and Sat. Non Summer hours are 9am-10:30pm Sun.-Thurs., 9am-11pm on Fri. and 8:30am-11pm on Sat.
8. Get a drink and relax by a roaring fire! Both the Old Mill Restaurant,located at 69 State Rd. East, Westminster (978) 874-5941 and King Phillip Restaurant located at 35 State Rd., Phillipston (978) 249-6300 have warm, welcoming atmospheres and a bar. The Old Mill is open Tues-Thurs, 11:30 am-9:15 pm; Fri-Sat, 11:30 am-10 pm and Sun 9 am-8:15 pm. Country Store and Gift Shop downstairs. King Phillip is open Monday through Thursday 5pm to 9pm, Friday and Saturday 5pm to 10pm, and Sunday Brunch 10am-2pm, Full Menu-12pm to 8pm.
7. Take a tour of our local brewery! Check out Wachusett Brewing Company, 175 State Road East, Westminster. Wachusett Brewing Company is a true Massachusetts microbrewery. Beer is brewed, bottled, put in a keg and shipped. They offer a variety of fresh ales with distinct character from their Westminster facility. Fun and educational tours and tastings are offered Wednesday & Thursday Noon - 4:00 (last tour at 3) and Friday & Saturday Noon - 5:00 (last tour at 4). Brewery Store Hours are Wednesday & Saturday Noon - 5:00 and Thursday & Friday Noon - 6:00. For more information, call (978) 874-9965 or visit www.wachusettbrew.com.
6. Visit one of our wonderful museums. We have the Top Fun Aviation Museum located at 21 Prichard Street, Fitchburg (978) 342-2809 displaying toy airplanes, games and puzzles from 1928 to the present. We also have the Museum of Russian Icons, 203 Union Street, Clinton (978) 598-5000 displaying more than 400 Russian Icons, the largest collection of its kind in North America and one of the largest private collections outside Russia. And there is the Fitchburg Art Museum located on Merriam Parkway, Fitchburg (978) 345-4207. This family-friendly museum is the area's oldest cultural institution, with 12 galleries of American and European paintings, prints, sculptures and decorative arts, as well as Egyptian, Greek, Roman, Asian and Pre-Colombian antiquities. The Gardner Museum on 28 Pearl St. in Gardner (978) 632-3277 offers a display of historical artifacts. They are open March-December Wednesday-Sunday 1pm-4pm.
5. Take a pony ride on the indoor carousel at Lancaster Flea Market, 1340 Lunenburg Rd., Lancaster (978) 534-4700. This is the largest indoor/outdoor flea market in New England, Lancaster Flea Market is open every Sunday year round rain or shine 8 am-4 pm. Spacious new building accommodates 385 vendors indoors, with hundreds of vendor spaces available outside. Handicapped ADA compliant. Admission $2 Adults, $1 Seniors; Kids 12 and under are free.
4. Take the kids to an indoor gym. On Fridays from 9:30am-1pm, parents can bring their children 12 months to 7 years to the Mount Wachusett Welness Center located at 444 Green Street in Gardner (978) 630-9562. Here, kids can run around and play on various gym equipment, including a bounce house. The admission is $3 per child. Or consider Hop On In on 217 Hamilton St. in Leominster (978) 537-0235. Generally, they are open weekdays from 10am-6pm but occassionally close for borthdy parties so be sure to check their site. Admission is $8 for those over 3 and $5 for 3 and under. The Great Escape Play Cafe is another indoor play area for kids located at 21 Sack Blvd., near the mall in Leominster (978) 227-5886. Ages 24 months and up are $8 and ages 12-23 months are $6. Kids under 12 months are free. Siblings are $6. Moms can relax and have coffee while watching their kids in the play area. Over in Gardner at 486 Chestnut St, (978) 919-4648, there is Jump and Play where kids can play and there is free wifi service available. Jump and Play has a bunch of inflatable jumpers, slides and games. Admission is $8 for 2 hours. Be sure to call first to see if the play area is available as it is closed at times for birthday parties.
3. Watch a play at a local theater. We have several options in the area. The first is Center Stage at Fitchburg State College, 160 Pearl St. Fitchburg (978) 665-3000. Our next theater is Theater at the Mount, located at 444 Green St. in Gardner (978) 632-2403. We also have the Stratton Theater located at 60 Wallace Ave. in Fitchburg (please see their site for information during their reconstruction of the playhouse or call (978) 345-6066). If it is a weekend (Saturday or Sunday at 11am or 1pm), you can also consider Drawbridge Puppet Theater located at 1335 Massachusetts Ave., Lunenburg (978) 582-6565. Admission is $5 per person and reservations are strongly recommended.
2. Catch a movie at the Strand Theater Movie House and Grille located at 58 High Street in Clinton. As a Cinema Pub, the Strand Theatre offers movie patrons the ability to enjoy a casual light meal and drink while watching a current motion picture on the big screen, with state-of-the-art sound and service in a comfortable and relaxing atmosphere. We feature the finest in recent motion picture entertainment on one of the largest screens in Worcester County. Admission is $5.50 for all shows, except for matinees which are $5. Shows play nightly at 7pm (closed Mondays) and they have matinees on the weekends at 4pm. For latest showtimes, visit www.strandtheatre.com or call (978) 365-5500.
1. And the #1 fun thing to do on a rainy day... GET EVEN WETTER! Visit Coco Key at 150 Royal Plaza Dr., Fitchburg where it is always 84 degrees. Waterslides, pools, splash park and best of all-the hot tub! Summer hours are Thursday to Saturday 10am-9pm and Sunday 10am-8pm. Fall Days are Friday-Sunday. For the latest updates on hours, visit their website at cocokeyfitchburg.com or call (978) 342-7100.
Member of the Month!
Read Our Seasonal Guide
| Johnny Appleseed Country North Central Massachusetts | Rt.2 Westbound, Lancaster, MA, Between Exits 35-34 | 978-534-2302
Membership - Guide Advertising - Tell Us Your Fall/Winter Event - Tell Us Your Spring/Summer Event - Guide Fact Sheet - Banner Sheet